Multiple Choice Questions( MCQ) exams with negative differentiating are the current trends for exams internationally. The exam pattern is dreaded by some students because the choices appear confounding, tricky and risky, especially when exam preparation is not 100%. Here we would discuss few ways and means of improving ratings to solve/ crack the multiple option questions( MCQ) based exam.
Having myself passed three of the 20 hottest certification quiz( Sun Java, Value Engg, PMP) based on MCQ format, I have concluded that MCQ exams are like Driving License Test. These driving exams are not about whether you can start engine, put your foot on gas pedal and move. On the other hand, they are about general understanding of vehicle itself( i.e. exam pattern ), navigation skills( when to accelerate its, when to slow, have control at all periods, do defensive driving ), know all traffic symbols& rules- high speed lane is only means to overtake( i.e. hurry up with questions only when essential ), give way to vehicles when needed to be safe( skip tough questions to save period ), look out on street for potholes/ obstacles/ wetness and slow down( i.e. watch out for tricky questions and don’t fall in traps/ distracter ), follow drive-test examiner’s instruction completely( follow the question’s educations as to what is expected from us) and so on. Following are the general tips on how to crack multiple choice question( MCQ) exam 😛 TAGEND
Before the Exam( during preparation)
1) Thoroughly understand the exam pattern. Know all the sections of the exam and go prepared after evaluating negative celebrating strategy of exam.
2) Understand yourself i.e. know your strength and weaknesses. Strength lies where you had been able to answer the questions under 30 seconds just after sleep during preparation and weaknesses where you had the history of celebrating incorrect options even after contemplating on questions for 2-3 minutes.
3) Perfect the art of hasten, correctness and gut feeling. Know a little bit of probability theory to decide if the odds of success in answering a question are rewarding or foolhardy. “Theres only” a thin line that divides smartness and foolhardy.
4) Old is gold. Try to solve previous years question paper to understand the quiz format and to build velocity, correctness and understand if your gut feeling is usually right or wrong. One can download the previous year’s questions papers from multitude of sources online.
5) Keep in psyche that MCQ format also tests the candidate states distinguishing abilities. If one can develop the skills of eliminating one or two options from 4 choices, one is on the way to success. Even if you feel the remedy selection is not a matter of the choices, select the best choice.
6) Few calculation based questions may have shortcuts methods to solve them. Similarly, many of the theory conceptions can be very well learnt use memorization tools. Everyone can recall how easy it is to learn the sequence of rainbow colourings employing VIBGYOR( Violet Indigo Blue Green Yellow Orange Red) acronym. I had devised a mnemonics list of about 50 such acronym words to remember during my PMP exam with great success( e.g. APES stands for Alternatives Identification, Product Analysis, Expert Judgment and Stakeholder Analysis and CEO stands for Collective bargaining agreements, Economic condition and Organization Structure ). Speaking about our brain, the strength of the signal they impart is determined by use. The more a particular synapse is applied, the stronger the signal it conveys. Therefore regular practice was essential for this method.
7) Develop some time management skills during schooling as it will pay-off handsomely during exams. Like experienced cricketers keep their nerve for long chase, taught to pace your innings correctly. Don’t retain everything till the end, finish the exam 8-10 minutes before the schedule to perform some sanity checks. Few of the MCQ questions in quizs are intentionally constructed long-worded to test if the candidates can handle time pressure. My trick for such questions used to be to read the final sentence of the question first to understand what is actually being asked.
8) Learn few deep breathing workouts and do it every hour for 1-2 minutes during exam. It will refresh your head by supplying extravagance oxygen. Moreover, yogic exhaling workouts are had proved to bring positive position and one can keep the nerves well during exam. For me even praying worked wonders during exams.
During the Exam
1) Carefully read the question. After reading the question, briefly close the eyes and think what was written on this topic in your notes and textbook. Many a periods, reading the choices first can mislead you to incorrect answers. The the issues are framed to divide wheat from husk( i.e. such that students with inadequate preparation would be lured to select wrong answers-also known as distracters. Distracters are nicely worded’ correct appearing’ options which are never part of exam curriculum.
2) First one should try to solve the problem since it is much faster than technique of elimination. If you cannot solve it, then try to eliminate couple of choices, and then proceed with answering that question( if the negative commemorate is 1/4 or 1/3 of a correct answer ). The odds of answering correctly now are more than negative commemorate scheme( the the possibilities of success with one choice elimination is 33. 3% and two selection removal is 50% for 4 selection quiz ). If all options seems alien to you, do yourself a favor by quickly moving to next question.
3) Be sure to read the end of the issue i.e. words like Except, Not, Never, Always. Remember two negative phrases form one positive phrase. The selections that use terms like’ ever’ and’ never’ are most likely not the correct selection, however do corroborates under which narrow circumstances such words are not suitable for an answer.
4) Further to point no. 3 above, also look at the end of choice if one of the choices is’ All of the above’ and’ None of the above ‘. In a fast paced world, sometimes we go too fast in selecting answers to repent later that velocity should not be at the cost of correctness. Realize that you are required to drive within’ metropoli restriction’ and not try to race on’ Formula One Circuit ‘. Spend time to observe if two choices are correct, then it is most probably’ All of the above’ and likewise for’ None of the above’.
5) Be aware that some answers( especially formulas, units, value of constants) for their own problems can be available elsewhere in the exam questions. This is quite true for online quizs where such things are difficult to avoid. They are like’ extra operates’ and you got to take them. Hence just park such questions for evaluation later.
6) A couple of questions on the exam have selections virtually looking like’ twins’ i.e. two options are identical except in cases of a word or value. Most likely in such cases, the answer lies amongst those’ twins’.
Check now kolkata rrb
7) When you feel the question looking tricky or difficult, read the question twice. If you feel the remedy option is not given as one of the choices or two options appear to be correct, select the best option. Select the option that is more descriptive/ qualifying and closely related to the question. Checkout for grammatical clues to match the question. If your question is in the singular then the answer might be also in the singular form and likewise. The answer should completely and immediately addresses the issue. In lawsuit the choice is only partly remedy under specific narrow circumstances, then it may not be the correct choice.
8) Generally try to attempt theoretical questions first and then questions which needs calculation. Our human nature is such that if we attempt a few confident questions in the beginning then we feel charged against positive energy that in turn increases our its effectiveness and speed for the rest of the exam.
9) Last but not the least, stay calm and composed during exam. Be confident while taking the test. Do not panic if you have left questions unanswered as no one is perfect and many have to do that. Just make sure that the ones you have done are correct and you are able to get the target marks.
In nutshell, one can master the MCQ exams by knowing the subject exhaustively and practicing it under simulated situations a number of days( more the very best ). If above rules are followed in right earnest, one can certainly improve their performance in MCQ based exams.
Good luck for exams.